Arroz con Leche (Rice with Milk)
This is a terrific and easy to prepare version of this traditional dessert!
1 cup long grain rice
3 cups milk
1 cup evaporated milk
½ cup sugar
1/16 th teaspoon (small pinch) cinnamon
½ cup raisins
½ tablespoon brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Soak the rice. Soak the rice in hot water for 10 minutes then thoroughly drain the rice and place it in a 2 quart baking dish.
3. Cook the rice. Stir 2 cups of the milk into the rice. Cover the dish and bring the liquid to a boil. As soon as the milk begins to boil place the covered dish in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
4. Prepare the flavoring mixture. While the rice is cooking, place the remaining 1 cup milk in a pan with the evaporated milk, the sugar, and cinnamon. Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer it for 5 minutes. Add the raisins, brandy, and vanilla and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
5. Complete the dish. When the rice is finished baking, remove it from the oven and stir in the milk/raisin mixture and cook over low heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes.